1. Look where you're going. Check out the gas station, ATM, 7-Eleven etc. before you pull up/go in so you don't become part of a stickup in progress.
2. Wake up. Turn off your iPod/iPhone etc. when out in public. Don't jog with earphones.
3. Maintain a Personal Comfort Zone. No stranger or hostile relation is allowed to get closer than 5 feet to you without vetting or permission. Period. If they do, attack the attacker. Practice a relaxed, non-threatening listening stance you can explode from. According to attackproof,com they recommend the "Jack Benny stance" turn your body to the side, hands up yet not in a threatening way.
3b. Just Say No. Never accept offers of help from strangers ("can I carry your packages?"). This was a favorite ruse of serial killers such as Ted Bundy. If things feel wrong, run away screaming. If you can't run, you'll have to fight.
4. Walk wide around building corners. Don't get jumped.
5. A few notes about getting into your car in a parking lot, or parking garage:
a.) Be aware: look around you, look into your car, at the passenger side floor , and in the back seat.
b.) If you are parked next to a big van, enter your car from the passenger door. Most serial killers attack their victims by pulling them into their vans while the women are attempting to get into their cars.
c.) Look at the car parked on the driver's side of your vehicle, and the passenger side... If a male is sitting alone in the seat nearest your car, you may want to walk back into the mall, or work, and get a guard/policeman to walk you back out. IT IS ALWAYS BETTER TO BE SAFE THAN SORRY.
6. Watch your drink. Someone could slip a knock out drug in your cocktail. Typical abduction/rape/murder ruse.
7. No stranger gets in your house. Ever. Even if it's a little girl screaming to use your phone to call her daddy because her mommy's hurt . Call 911 for her. Otherwise, you open the door and 3 mutants rush in and a horrific home invasion begins.
8. Flat tire in a bad neighborhood? Drive on your rims. New wheels are a small price to pay for avoiding a violent car jacking.
9. People give you a bad feeling as you walk down a street? Do you: Make eye contact? Don't make eye contact? Look assertive? Reach for your gun? Walk down a different street. Prepare what you do in advance.
10. You're being mugged for your money. Don't fish around in your purse/wallet for bills. Be cooperative. Give them your whole wallet (prepare a separate "mugging" wallet with a few dollars).